Monday, July 26, 2010

creating a non-profit

This past week, I drove up to Austin to see some friends, and help out my friend with home schooling his kids. One of the great ideas that came from that trip was the creation of a non-profit organization to raise awareness of food and digestion issues as well as the emotional impact such problems can cause. Since this is basically exactly what I'm writing my book Survival Strategies about, I thought it would be good to actually have an organization to help target my market (most Americans) and begin the process of raising awareness.

The organization will be called "Eating Well" and the logo will be a well where one can draw water, but also a place notorious for drowning. Andy and I agreed that the logo captures many of the nourishing, life-sustaining aspects of food and one's relationship to one's body, but it also carries the connotation of depth (psychoanalysis anyone?) and potential danger.

The first step to the creation of this new entity, "Eating Well", is to incorporate it. Not only does this create the organization itself as a separate entity legally, but it also gives me a title "Executive Director". I say "yay" to that. In order to do all this legally and correctly, I need to have a board of directors, who will operate as final budgetary decision makers, etc. So I'm looking for those qualified individuals who like my idea and could contribute to my overall aims:
1. raising awareness of food related problems, including binge eating, food allergies, celiac disease, etc.

2. helping provide strategies for living well in spite of the limitations of diet and the body

Let me know if you're interested!

No comments: