Friday, August 6, 2010

Psycho-therapy

This week I got to go see my psychiatrist to see how my medication is working. And yes, I too am part of the prozac generation although I resisted that designation for a very long time. Finally, when the panic attacks became too much and I got awfully tired of battling depression on a regular basis, I had to call in the calvary for some help.

The psychiatrist asked me how things were going (as if he could really tell a whole lot from 15 minutes of time with me every three months, but ah well!), and I told him that I was happy with my current medication. What with the complete lack of stability in my world these days, I know that without the pills, I'd be a nutcase. In fact, as I told him, I can feel the depression and anxiety, but thankfully it's over here floating in a cloud just beyond the barrier of Prestiq and Clonozepam. I don't like the weight that anti-depressants seem to adhere to my butt, but I do like being non-suicidal. And these days, with the stabilizing help of drugs, my GI system is not the happiest in the world. the little bundle of nerves governing that section of my body is in all kinds of an uproar about the amount of stress I'm carrying around with me.

Will I get the job, or not? If so, can I get to Alabama and be ready for school before it starts? If not, will things go ok here in Texas? Can I get my book ready, can I get that non-profit working? What does the future hold for me? And would it hurry up and just let me know already?? That person that I may have let past my walls and guards - why is he screwing with me now? Seriously, it's enough to make a sane person go crazy. And a crazy, IBS-living person might stray farther from the path of sanity. But then again, sanity just might be overrated.

In the meantime, I'm doing all sorts of relaxation techniques I've learned over the years. Yoga and I are becoming very very good friends this week, and running in the hot Texas nights is becoming a norm. Exercise, yoga, and a bit of too many cookies will help me get through this period of instability, both in life and in the body. I'm also going to start another blog here on quotes I find in books I read. I read far more than the average person, and I'm always stumbling across quotes that I would like to work with someday or that at the very least, should be shared with others.

No comments: